Although I generally try to eat healthily, there’s one thing that I can never resist: chocolate. I’m a self-confessed chocoholic and find it hard to get through the day without my daily chocolate fix! So if you’re like me and you lurrrrrrve chocolate, you will love this recipe – it’s healthy, filling, and best of all, it tastes just like a hot chocolate breakfast!
This healthy chocolate porridge is my go-to breakfast most mornings because it’s really quick to make, it tastes delicious, and it’s packed with ingredients that are good for you.
I like to use Neal’s Yard Wholefoods 100% Organic Jumbo Oats for this recipe. I prefer using jumbo oats to quick/rolled oats as they make a more delicious, textured porridge. In order to add a rich chocolatey taste I use Rainforest Foods Cacao Powder. Cacao powder is the raw, much less processed version of cocoa powder. It is a superfood that is packed with antioxidants and is a great source of iron, magnesium and calcium. Best of all, it’s got a delicious chocolatey flavour!
In order to add some sweetness to the porridge (and to really give it that ‘hot chocolate’ taste) I like to use Agave Nectar/Syrup or Honey. You can also use whatever milk you prefer, whether that is cow’s milk, almond milk, or any other nut milk.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup Organic Jumbo Oats
- 3/4 cup Milk (Cow’s Milk/Nut Milk)
- 1 tsp Cacao Powder
- A drizzle of Agave Nectar/Syrup or Honey
- Add the Organic Jumbo Oats and the Cacao Powder into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the Milk to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- You can then cook this on the hob by bringing the mixture to boil, then letting it simmer for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can pop the mixture in the microwave for around 3-4 minutes until the oats become soft.
- Add a drizzle of Agave Nectar/Syrup or Honey
- You can also choose to add some fruit on top, such as blueberries, strawberries or chopped banana.
Recipe Cards – Mooku, Bowl – Zara Home